Education refers to the process of training and shaping the mind through attending a formal school. It provides exposure to the arts and sciences, which are sources of a livelihood and empowerment. Education is the soul of a society because it is passed from one generation to another. A parent’s wish is for his/her child to excel in education, become a graduate, and get a very good job.
What makes a good education?
- Development of critical thinking skills. A key element of a good education is the ability to instill a growing thinking capacity. Education is there to help a child develop the ability to be a rational thinker. Education prepares people for effective problem solving and crisis management. Education is all about instilling a voice of reason within an individual. This prepares people with the skills they need to navigate the world.
- Development of life skills. At some point in life, a student puts a stop to the classroom life and yearns for an independent life with a family, a good job, car, a house, investments, responsibilities and financial stability. School life equips us with those skills to face the future.
- Development to fit in one’s culture. Education is a way of passing common thinking from one generation to another. Schools address family life, religion, lifestyles, and art, which are all aspects of a culture that need to be preserved and shared.
- Character development. Character is built through education. Good morals help us live together in peace and shape how we treat the world around us. Character is who we are!
Below are some points to emphasize the importance of a good education.
- Acquiring knowledge. An educated society is an empowered society. Education provides exposure to mathematics, history, technology, arts and many other subjects.
- Economic growth of the nation. Countries with high literacy rates are more prosperous and the citizens have higher per capita income. In underdeveloped countries, most people are still living below the poverty line.
- Keeping updated with technology. Great innovations have come up throughout the years with the help of education. Technology has grown and is now incorporated in businesses, hospitals, and even schools.
- Health awareness. Education has played a very big role in creating awareness in the health sector. We have the ability to detect diseases and even cure them. Educated people are keen to living healthy lifestyles because they are aware of the possible consequences.
- Self-independence. An educated mindset helps people become financially independent and helps them achieve a brighter future as opportunities come their way. It makes them wiser so that they can make their own decisions.
- Crisis management. The importance of a good education can be measured by the ability of a person to make critical decisions. Such a quality is helpful in dealing with a crisis as most good decisions are made based on prior knowledge. The ability to assess and determine the best course of action in a difficult situation is always valuable.